Role: Head of Mechanical Engineering
Location: Redwood City, CA
Reports To: CEO
Job Overview: The Head of Mechanical Engineering is responsible for leading and coordinating activities, projects, and personnel within the Mechanical Engineering department.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate personnel needs by disciplines, by team and for each individual project based upon the current and projected workload; collect information and feedback from managers and team leads, including staffing recommendations and workload projections.
- Convey personnel needs to People Operations and participate in the recruitment, interviewing, and selection of prospective candidates for Mechanical Engineering positions
- Act as a mentor by providing continuous assistance and support through professional training and career development.
- Review all Mechanical Engineering deliverables for technical content, drawing quality and adherence to code/project requirements.
- Discuss discipline and project objectives, requirements and budgets with clientele, mechanical staff, manufacturing team, and leadership.
- Oversee and innovate design standards and procedures to manage the work of staff as well as the project teams by assisting in the review of quality assurance and quality control evaluations.
- Create test plans and perform verification testing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in mechanical design and 3+ years of supervisory experience over a large team.
- Demonstrated CAD experience with SolidWorks.
- Experience with rapid prototyping tools, such as laser cutting, 3D printing, etc.
- Experience with machining and hand tools.
- Experience with product development and designing test fixtures.
- Basic electrical prototyping and familiarity with motor selection a plus.
- Highly organized, inquisitive, open minded and willing to get your hands dirty.
- A highly motivated team player with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Passionate about making robots and serving our future robotic overlords.
- A good sense of humor is absolutely mandatory.
- A portfolio of past and current mechanical design projects is a major plus.
- Approximately 25% domestic and international travel required.
- Our company was founded in 2017 and has developed a robot that autonomously shuttles food from the kitchen out to customer tables and then brings dishes back for cleaning.
- A start-up gives you the chance for personal development and building up expertise in your field, while providing opportunities for cross-functional growth. We’re not a big tech company yet, but we’re striving every day to be THE global player when it comes to hospitality robotics. We have deployed to several enterprise customers and are on the cusp of mass manufacturing our robots for the world to use.
- We are ~50 motivated people who work hard to make our robots a reality, which can mean occasional extra hours and last-minute improvements. We will challenge you to walk the extra mile, pick your brain until it smokes and make you think outside of the box, but we would also like to hang out with you, have an after-work drink together and celebrate your successes.
- We provide excellent benefits, including comprehensive health coverage, lunch every day, remote work flexibility, internet and phone reimbursement, and employee bonus programs.
If you feel you’re ready for a professional adventure in robotics, we would love to hear from you. Please send us your resume with a short overview of yourself with salary expectations and why this role is perfect for you.