Sr Mechanical Engineer, DFM Plastics
Location: Redwood City, CA
Do you live and breathe plastic part design and have dedicated a large part of your engineering career to their development? Do you have a copy of Standards and Practices of Plastics Molders sitting on your bookshelf? Do you know what MT-11010 stands for? Then this job is for you!
Bear Robotics is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer who specializes in injection molded part design who wants to play a key role in the development of our robot at our headquarters in Redwood City, CA. We need engineers who can get our prototype into mass production, particularly ones with deep experience in high volume plastics. If you want to work on interesting design and manufacturing challenges as an individual contributor with an A+ team, Bear Robotics is a perfect place for you.
- Facilitate our transition from prototype designs to production using principles from design for manufacturability (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA), with a particular emphasis on injection molded and thermoformed plastics
- Work with our injection molders and CM to bring up injection molded parts, identify defects and issues in the parts, review FAI reports, request tool modifications, etc.
- Evaluate and select materials for optimal performance and manufacturability of plastic shells, mounts, cover glasses, etc.
- Collaborate with our manufacturing, product, field ops and software teams to ensure our robot meets all customer and engineering requirements
- Ensure the design of our robot meets functional and material safety standards
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- At least 10+ years of mechanical design experience, preferably with at least 5+ years designing injection molded parts
- Deep experience in injection molded part design principles and best practices and familiarity with common plastic part features such as snap fits, shut offs, living hinges, etc.
- Knowledge of common plastic coatings, along with setting the cosmetic and quality requirements to control them
- Familiarity with basic injection molding tool design principles, such as gate types, cooling lines, runners, action, etc.
- Ability to conduct and/or review mold flow analysis (MFA) a major plus
- Experience working with and managing injection molders and contract manufacturers, including participating in on-site CM builds and verification trials
- Experience working in CAD (preferably Solidworks), especially with complicated surface features and master models
- Proficiency in GD&T compliant with ANSI Y14.5, with fluency in tolerance stack analysis, datum establishment and metrology best practices
- A highly motivated team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, collaborative and dynamic start-up environment as part of a small team
- Willing to occasionally travel
- A good sense of humor a must
- Our company was founded in 2017 and has developed a robot that autonomously shuttles food from the kitchen out to customer tables and then brings dishes back for cleaning.
- We’re not a big tech company yet, but we’re striving every day to be THE global player when it comes to hospitality robotics. A start-up gives you the chance for personal development, building up expertise in your field while providing opportunities for cross functional growth
- We are ~30 motivated people who work hard to make our robots a reality, which can mean occasional extra hours and last minute improvements. We will challenge you to walk the extra mile, pick your brain until it smokes and make you think outside of the box, but we would also like to hang out with you, have an after work drink together and celebrate your successes
- We provide excellent benefits, including comprehensive health coverage, catered lunch every day, a well stocked fridge and pantry and spontaneous boba outings
If you feel you’re ready for a professional adventure in robotics, we would love to hear from you. Please send us your resume with a short overview of yourself and why this role is perfect for you. A portfolio of your past work is also a huge plus.
- Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment